Sunday, September 27, 2009

where have we been?!

I was doing so well with the blog for awhile and then... life happened!!

Well more accurately, school started as well as procrastination and the last we will see of sun for awhile so we have been slightly preoccupied!

As for what we've been doing... Mikel is still working at Sears; he's back in tools and is getting a good number of hours. Tools will be a good place to be once Christmas comes! He's also recently bought his fishing license so he's trying to find time to enjoy that! Also, Josh is coming in town on Wednesday night and staying through the weekend so that should be a lot of fun.

For me, school started so I'm busy again! I am teaching two classes-- The Healthy Lifestyle and Physical Growth and Motor Behavior. I'm liking the classes and enjoying the challenge of a new class. Because I don't have a lot of activity classes, I spend less time actually teaching but more time preparing- it's a trade off but I like it and it is good preparation for actually having to get a job after I'm done. I am also helping teach Beginning Bowling with an international student. It's a little bit extra money so I'm glad to do it but the language and cultural barriers that exist working with someone from China definitely add a little challenge to an otherwise easy class!
On top of my teaching load I am taking three classes: Qualitative Research Methods, Issues in Teaching Undergraduate Kinesiology, and an Independent Study. The classes have been good- nothing too exciting or ground breaking but it's good. I am also working on a couple of research projects that are going well but taking a lot of time. My goal is to get as much research/teaching experience while I'm here so I'm doing what I can!

On a side note, I have gotten a small part-time job working at the Breslin Center (where the basketball teams play and they host a lot of other concerts and events). Because I already have a Graduate Assistantship working for Kinesiology I can only work a few hours a week but I will be able to see some cool events a make a little bit of extra money on my days off. Plus, it will give me the opportunity to work during Christmas break and other times when we are not in school but I may still be around.

What else?? Well, while I was making homemade macaroni and cheese (enough for an army) yesterday, I realized that there is a big difference between "1 cup shredded cheese" and "1 cup cheese, shredded". Let me just say, we now have cheese in the bottom of the oven- not too much thank goodness!

Well, Mikel is at work today and I've got a bunch of emails from panicking students as well as my own work to do so off I go to be productive! I feel like I should have bought this sign in Hawaii last year:
In case it's really small it's says: "lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on mine"

No comments: