Sunday, April 5, 2009

we're in the finals!!


Mikel and I decided this was probably something we'd never seen again...

MSU pulled off another upset and beat UConn in the Final Four in Detroit to advance to the National Championship game on Monday. Unfortunately, Mikel had to work but they were all listening to the game on the radio and he was able to wander through the electronic section every once in a while to sneak a peak.

I watched the game at home but as soon as MSU was shooting their last free throws, I grabbed our camera, hopped in my car, and drove downtown East Lansing. I had a feeling it was going to be pretty wild so I wanted to soak it all in (from the inside of my car). I figured it would be much more exciting seeing it in person rather than on the news! I had a hard time taking pictures with how dark it was but I got a couple shots (although it still doesn't do justice to the madness)!
There were thousands of people running down the streets yelling and screaming, doing MSU cheers, and hugging and high-fiving random people. I actually paid 60 cents to park in a public lot just so I could get out of the car and take some pictures and video. While I was on the sidewalk for less than 2 minutes, I got a couple of high fives from random people and one almost hug.
There were probably 20,000 people on the streets of East Lansing celebrating the victory along with A LOT of police in cars, on street corners and on horseback. Police were even handing out high fives!

There was one last place we had to check out after Mikel got off work at that was Cedar Village. That is a student housing community area that has a TON of houses and apartments crammed in a very small area. This is where 'Cedar Fest' has happened and it apparently gets pretty wild. Here's an article about the "peaceful celebration".
Here's just a short video we shot from the end of the street. I tried to zoom in at the end to show all the people but it got pretty blurry....


The national championship game is Monday night so I can only imagine how productive Tuesday morning classes are going to be!!

No comments: