Friday, August 7, 2009

alaska day 1...

After a long first day in Alaska, I have taken A LOT of pictures but am short on sleep. Mike, his son Riley, and I left Boise around 7 last night after camp and flew to Anchorage, getting in around midnight. We went straight to a hotel to get some sleep and then headed out in the morning.

Our first stop wasn't planned but Riley saw a bear in the water so we pulled over to check it out. There was a bunch of people fishing here, I think it's called Bird Creek...

I took TONS of pictures of the bear but these are a couple of the best. It wasn't very big but it got pretty close to some of the fishermen on the bank.


Our next stop was at Portage Glacier where we saw the glacier that has receded a lot but was still beautiful and impressive.

From there we took a short little hike out to Byron Glacier which was sooo beautiful!





So pretty!!

Our last stop before Homer, where we are coaching camp, was in Soldotna. Mike has a friend, Pako, who he used to run camps for and she brought fishing poles for Riley and Mike to fish. They spent more time un-snagging themselves from rocks than actually attempting to catch fish; neither of them caught any fish and Mike actually broke the pole he was using (don't even ask) but they had fun and I had fun watching!



Lastly, Pako took us by her brother-in-law's cabin in Soldotna so we could see. It's absolutely beautiful and this is the view from the back deck...
An awesome first day and now I'm in Homer. I'm sure I'll have many more pictures to share and hopefully after tonight I won't be so tired!

No comments: