Friday, June 4, 2010

OK, time for an update...


I wrote a couple days ago that things were super busy and I was not kidding! I said our time was including lots of school, mosquito bites, cookie dough, science nerds, travel, a swimming pool/rock quarry, and work...


The cookie dough, travel and swimming pool/rock quarry were all from our Naperville trip. It was a great trip and perfect timing! A anniversary trip that was paid for by work obligations. A little work in the morning and some relaxing and hanging out in the afternoon!


Summer school has started and I'm teaching two classes: Healthy Lifestyles and Ethical Issues in Athletics. I'm team teaching them with Brett and they've been a blast! The good part is that the classes only last the first session of summer school that ends July 1st. So after that, no more teaching until September! I am doing an independent study project with my advisor and working on a  lot of research so that is the school work I am doing! The bad thing about summer school is that classes are either twice as long or they happen twice as often so it's a lot of time in the classroom right now but by the end of the month I won't be complaining! Also, I do have Friday's off so it's really nothing to complain about!

As for the mosquito bites-- with summer and warm weather comes mosquitoes here in the humid state of Michigan. I can't complain much because they don't bite me much but Mikel gets ATTACKED. We actually had to buy a fly swatter and we haven't killed one fly but TONS of mosquitoes. I guess it's the price to pay for warm weather.

Last buy not least: the science nerds. Yes, they've been everywhere! MSU was the host to the 2010 World Finals for Odyssey of the Mind. I had never heard of this before but apparently it's a really big deal some places. It is a science/creative team problem solving competition where groups of seven (I think) work together to present solutions for planned and spontaneous problems. NASA was the sponsor for the event and there were over 800 teams from all over the US and the world. I saw teams from Hong Kong, Singapore, China, Mexico, Canada, Poland, Germany, Korea, Japan and lot so of other places. There are four divisions (3rd grade through college) and five different "problems" on different topics. The competitions are related to everything from nutrition to building vehicles to building structures. It was a pretty cool event and it was all over our campus. They were using tons of different buildings for competitions and the majority of the participants were staying in the dorms. 
The fact that this was a huge event combined with the fact that most of the student employees from Breslin are gone for the summer meant that I was scheduled for a ridiculous amount of hours. I learned everything I needed to learn about Odyssey of the Mind. At one point I saw a high school kid dressed as a sandwich and playing a bassoon. I wish I could have taken a picture. I will be happy when the paycheck comes but I was pretty burnt out by the time it was over!

Other than that, Mikel and I have been enjoying the pool, planning our next adventures and working a lot! Things are good here! 

No comments: