Sunday, March 7, 2010

it's pothole season!!

Ugh! Pothole season... really?! Something similar to this was the title of a newspaper article that I saw the other day. I didn't think I would ever live somewhere that identified an entire season dedicated to potholes. The bad news is that the article went on to explain how they can damage your car or even total it and that Michigan does not have enough money to fix them all so we should drive carefully. Fantastic!


On another note, spring break starts tomorrow and I am quite excited. I have a lot of work to do still but a little change of pace is always appreciated. I am already so excited at the thought that I don't have to wake up to an alarm tomorrow morning! Last week was midterms so I have tests to grade-- it's always interesting how much easier it is to grade and prepare for classes that I enjoy compared to ones I dread (the students, not the content). Ok, that may be a little dramatic because I can't complain too much about my classes but there is definitely a rank order to which ones I'm enjoying the most. Not surprisingly, the class I teach by myself is my favorite (even though it's not my favorite content), followed by the other two. I only have one class full of big-time whiners so that's good. Again, it's not shocking that my class full of freshman and sophomores are a lot lazier than my juniors and seniors. The seniors are just trying to not mess anything up so they can graduate in May! I'm not picky about the reason-- I just like the result!


Tonight, I worked the Michigan-Michigan State men's basketball game and man was it crazy! First, UM only had 14 points at half time which wasn't a good sign (well it was for us, not them)! On top of it being against Michigan, it was also the last home game of the season, senior night, and a game which allowed us to clinch a share of the regular season championship. It was also the Saturday after midterms and the first weekend of spring break-- as you may imagine, it was CRAZY!


This was my view of the game today-- can't complain! I was working the visitor's locker room and officials locker room. Not too bad of a view! The team won big, they recognized the seniors after the game, raised the championship banner, and then Coach Izzo invited everyone into the stands onto the court to celebrate. As you can imagine, this did not make the Breslin Center staff too excited because this meant the crowd was everywhere and it took A LOT longer to close down the building. All in all, the crowd was well-behaved and things worked out! During my briefing before the game they told me they were afraid that the crowd may rush the court after the game and if it was just a couple to try and stop them but if it was a lot then to get the heck out of the way and not get hurt: DEAL! I don't get paid enough money to get trampled by a crowd of my own students!


This week we will be relaxing a little, travelling to Indianapolis for a couple days, and I will be working A LOT of the circus. Yes, the circus. There are five showings in three days and I work 4 of them. I may smell like elephants for weeks but it's a lot of hours so I'll take it! Mikel will most likely be working and fishing!


Mikel is getting ready to visit Idaho in a couple weeks- he's really excited and I'm really jealous. I wish I could go with him (just like I wished he could visit California with me) but I guess we'll have to wait until we're rich for that. Or, just until we have full-time jobs!!


On a completely unrelated note-- it's supposed to be around 50 for the next two days and I can hardly contain myself with excitement!! The weather people better not be playing with my emotions because I will be a very sad duck (why a duck?? ... why not?)!!

No comments: