Sunday, March 28, 2010

three seconds of bad decisions...

As many people know, graceful is not generally how I am described and yesterday was no exception. 


I went to Ann Arbor yesterday to assist with data collection for USA hockey's youth development program. This program brings in about 45 15-year-olds who are the best of the best of youth hockey in the country and, from there, invites about 22 to be on the age group USA youth hockey teams and move to Ann Arbor for two years. If I knew anything about hockey, I would have known that there were a ton of ex-Olympians and ex-NHL players there as parents of these participants. Many of these kids will eventually be Olympians and NHL players themselves.


Either way, we were there to assist in a small part of their selection. We administered psychological evaluations on things like use of psychological skills, emotion regulation, and arousal regulation. We then input all their data and create reports and profiles on each player. Then, the sport psychologist from MSU that we were there working with (who also works with the USA hockey program) sits in on their scouting meetings and selection meetings to help the coaches. The coaches have been scouting these guys for years and they also do a lot of playing, training, and physical testing while in Ann Arbor.


Anyways, it was a great experience and we actually worked a lot faster than they thought we would. We were done with data entry and were getting ready to drive home so I went to get my sweatpants out of the car so I could change out of the nice clothes I was in. I went out, opened the back of my car, set my keys down, got my stuff, and then went to shut the back of my car. Well, as the door was coming down, I realized my keys were still sitting in the back of my car so I lunged forward to grab them. Yes, this was a bad decision because the car wouldn't have locked anyway but I didn't have time to think about all that. Well, I stumbled as I lunged, fell down a little but still managed to get my hand stuck under the door. The door came down HARD on my hand and smashed it pretty good. Luckily, it didn't catch my fingers or anything because that could have been even worse.


Either way, my hand hurts and is swollen now but, other than being embarrassed by my stupidity, nothing is really wrong. 


Because nobody is here to share my sorrows with, I thought I would take pictures. My hands have terrible color apparently, but the left one is the one I smashed, below by middle and pointer finger. The right one was saved from destruction. 




That's about all that's gone on here of any excitement. Mikel is having a great visit but I'm ready for him to be back here! He should be home Tuesday night! I have been working a lot and doing lots of school work and will probably continue that through the end of the semester (I'm so ready)!


On to rooting for the Spartans today! Go Green!!

No comments: