Tuesday, January 5, 2010

things I don't like about driving in Michigan...

I'm enjoying my time at home here in Riverside but have compiled a list of things I don't like about driving in Michigan...
  1. Lights that are on timers. I end up sitting at lights for a LONG time looking silly because nobody is around but I'm waiting for the light to change colors (rule following is generally a good thing, I understand).
  2. Similar to the above-- 'no turn on red'. If I could just make a right turn on a red light sometimes then I wouldn't be sitting at the light with nobody else around.
  3. Michigan U's. You can't seem to make a u-turn at ANY intersection in the whole state!! You have to go through the intersection and go to these turn lanes in between intersections to make a u-turn. I have seen them other places but they are everywhere in Michigan so we call them Michigan U's as in "no you can't turn here but go past the intersection and make a Michigan U". 
  4. Salt. They salt the roads like it is going out of style here! It melts the snow but rusts cars.... I'll take my chances with a 4-wheel drive car and a snow plow thank you very much. We definitely wash the car way more in the winter to clear off the salt than we do in the summer. 
  5. Intersection lights that are timed so that if you drive the speed limit you are stopped at every red light. What the heck? Grand River is the street in between our apartment, school, and Mikel's work and the only way to hit all the green lights continuously is to drive about 8 miles an hour over the speed limit. This is a terrible idea though because people are always pulled over getting tickets. I stick with driving the speed limit and complaining about the red lights... it seems to work for me!
  6. Potholes.... enough said.
  7. When the gas prices go up here, the increase is at least 10 cents. Sometimes 15.... there's no 2 cents, or 5 cents...8 minimum-- so annoying!!
I'm sure I could think of more things but too many complaints makes a negative nancy!

No comments: