Friday, April 9, 2010

Lisa's top secret advice for success in graduate school and life...

One of the interns who works in our office was with me when I was in Ann Arbor doing data collection (and slamming my hand in the car). She's super cool and was very excited because she just got accepted to graduate school. She was asking me all sorts of questions about what it was like, whether she was going to be able to do it, and for advice. I only had one piece of advice (well I told her she would be fine, she's a super smart girl and way on top of things). My top secret advice for success in graduate school and life: FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. Seriously, how hard is it?! For some people that answer is really really hard. I don't get it... It's actually easier if you follow directions; people are telling you what to do so you just have to do it. I try and pass this pearl of wisdom onto my students as well but some don't get it yet (although they might when they get their assignments back-- those that didn't follow directions didn't do too hot). 


Today, I had to give a presentation today on my current research project in front of all of our department along with three other students. All PhD students have to do it at some point. What don't people understand about 12-15 minutes?! This is a direction that the other students choose not to follow. Eight minutes over on a twelve minute presentation is a large departure from the directions. Anyways, my presentation went really well and people were very positive so that's all that matters to me. I got my grade and I can move forward. 


Unfortunately, my presentation was not drama free. Apparently, when I was packing last night, I only put one shoe in the bag. I didn't realize this until about 10 minutes before presentations were to start. Mikel didn't have the car so he couldn't bring it to me and I had to be in the presentations so I couldn't go. This left me with three options: wear my red running shoes, wear one of each (black dress shoe and red running shoe), wear no shoes. I initially thought the one shoe- one barefoot option was the best but I didn't want to walk around the building with no shoes so I would wear one of each into the room and then when it was my turn to go up with one shoe. Well, I forgot to take off the bright red shoe so I ended up wearing one of each. It was fine and nobody noticed but the people I had told until after my presentation but I couldn't step out from behind the podium so nobody saw. Marty (my advisor) and Brett (my friend from Idaho and officemate) had an extra good laugh when it was all over. 


On another note-- Mikel took pictures of these two beautiful cardinals (I think) outside our apartment the other day. We were teased with warm weather in the 70s for awhile but it was down to the 30s and 40s today; hopefully that won't last long...


I have to get ahold of some of Mikel's fishing pictures from his visit to Idaho so I can post them. He had a great time and caught some big fish!

No comments: